Full agenda - Provisional Programme
This session will provide a forum to discuss research cooperation between the European Union (EU) and Japan in light of the current and future funding landscape. We are selecting digital transformation as the overarching theme to frame this discussion. The digital transition is definitely high on both EU and Japan’s agendas: they share similar approaches to it, underscoring the place of citizens at the centre of such transformation and the interdependency between the digital and green transitions.
The EU’s path to the digital decade and Japan’s vision of Society 5.0 entail, among other things, developing a sustainable, resilient and secure digital infrastructure for increased and improved connectivity and processing of vast amounts of data to help tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges.
As negotiations with third countries – including Japan – to discuss their status in Horizon Europe are underway, the session hosted by INESC TEC at INESC Brussels HUB Summer Meeting will highlight examples of successful bilateral activities in the digital field between renowned RPOs in Portugal and Japan and the challenges of leveraging achieved results and synergies through the usual funding mechanisms (or in their absence).
10h00 – Opening Remarks
- (TBC) Cristina Russo, Director for Global Approach & International Cooperation in R&I, DG Research and Innovation
10h10 – Enhancing the EU-Japan Alliance Through Digital: Notes from the Industrial and Business Communities
10h30 – Session I – Shaping EU-Japan’s role in the Global Digital Governance: Where do Portuguese and Japanese Research-Performing Organisations stand?
- Host: Rui Oliveira, INESC TEC (10 minutes)
- Satoshi Sekiguchi, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) (10 minutes)
- Emmanuel Planas, National Institute of Informatics (NII) (10 minutes)
- Arlindo Oliveira, INESC & IST (10 minutes)
Moderated Q&A – Rui Oliveira, INESC TEC (20 minutes)
11h35 – Break
11h50 – Session II – The Research-funding landscape for EU-Japan collaboration in Digital: What should be kept and what should be changed in the face of opportunities
Overview: Research Funding Opportunities in the EU and Japan in support of EU-Japan Digital Cooperation (20 minutes)
- (TBC) Japan and ASEAN Desks at DG Research and Innovation (10 minutes)
- (TBC) Mission of Japan to the EU (10 minutes)
Roundtable (45 minutes)
- Moderators: Andreia Passos, Head of International Relations Service at INESC TEC and Ricardo Miguéis, Head of INESC Brussels HUB
- Jason Haga, AIST, Japan
- Emmanuel Planas, NII
- Rui Oliveira, INESC TEC, Portugal
- (TBC) JST Paris Office
- (TBC) Directorate for Global Approach & International Cooperation in R&I at DG RTD
12h50 – Closing Remarks