Full agenda - Provisional Programme
This session will provide a forum to discuss research cooperation between the European Union (EU) and Japan in light of the current and future funding landscape. We are selecting digital transformation as the overarching theme to frame this discussion. The digital transition is definitely high on both EU and Japan’s agendas: they share similar approaches to it, underscoring the place of citizens at the centre of such transformation and the interdependency between the digital and green transitions.
The EU’s path to the digital decade and Japan’s vision of Society 5.0 entail, among other things, developing a sustainable, resilient and secure digital infrastructure for increased and improved connectivity and processing of vast amounts of data to help tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges.
As negotiations with third countries – including Japan – to discuss their status in Horizon Europe are underway, the session hosted by INESC TEC at INESC Brussels HUB Summer Meeting will highlight examples of successful bilateral activities in the digital field between renowned RPOs in Portugal and Japan and the challenges of leveraging achieved results and synergies through the usual funding mechanisms (or in their absence).
09h00 – Opening Remarks
09h10 – Enhancing the EU-Japan Alliance Through Digital: Notes from the Industrial and Business Communities
09h30 – Session I: Shaping EU-Japan’s role in the Global Digital Governance
Where do Portuguese and Japanese Research-Performing Organisations stand?
- Rui Oliveira, INESC TEC – Host;
- Satoshi Sekiguchi, Vice-President, AIST – National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology;
- Emmanuel Plannas, GLO Acting Director, NII – National Institute of Informatics;
- Arlindo Oliveira, Director, INESC Holding.
Moderated Q&A – Rui Oliveira, Member of the Board of Directors, INESC TEC
10h30 – 20 minute break
10h50 – Session II: The research-funding landscape for EU
Japan collaboration in Digital – What should be kept and what should be changed in the face of opportunities
Overview: Research Funding Opportunities in the EU and Japan in support of EU-Japan Digital Cooperation
- Andreia Passos, Head of International Relations Service at INESC TEC and Ricardo Migueis, Head of INESC Brussels HUB – Moderators;
- Jason Haga, Chief Senior Research Scientist, AIST – National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology;
- Emmanuel Planas, GLO Acting Director, NII – National Institute of Informatics;
- Rui Oliveira, Member of the Board of Directors, INESC TEC;
- Riken Europe Office;
- Manuel Heitor, Professor at IST – Instituto Superior Técnico;
- Directorate for Global Approach & International Cooperation in R&I at DG RTD
11h50 – Closing Remarks