Welcome to today’s Morning Brief. The Morning Brief newsletter is only available to INESC staff and affiliated researchers upon subscription (weekly or daily), after creating an account in the Private Area of the HUB website. To do so, click the log-in icon on the top-right corner of this website.
In today's Morning Brief:
New information portal on Horizon Europe
A new support portal is now available to everyone interested in participating in Horizon Europe calls, the recently created “Horizon Europe NCP” portal. On this portal, you will be able to access a range of information, training, support tools, and services that NCPs develop to support the wide participation in Horizon Europe. The mission of this portal is to serve as a stable entry point during the whole duration of the programme, complementing the official Funding and Tender Portal.
Horizon Europe work programmes
In the unlikely case you missed it, the Horizon Europe work programmes 2021-2022 have finally been published last week and are now available here. For this occasion, Science|Business has made a useful recap of all the new aspects of the new framework programme and of the negotiations that went into the approval of Horizon Europe and its work programmes.
The first calls of the Horizon Europe 2021-2022 work programmes will open on 22 June. Nonetheless, the details of the participation of third countries to quantum and space research calls are still under discussion, which means that 21 quantum and space research calls had to be further postponed, to 28 October. Read more on the work programmes and the political reactions here.
Experts wanted for the new I3
DG REGIO and EISMEA, who will implement the new Interregional Innovation Investments (I3), are now looking for individuals in their personal capacity as evaluation experts for the I3 funding programme. The experts must have a high level of expertise and professional experience in the fields of smart specialisation strategies, interregional innovation ecosystems and related topics. The call for expression for interest will remain open for the whole duration of the current MFF (until 2027), and the application must be done via the Portal Expert Database.
EARTO webinars now available in the Private Area
Last week, EARTO hosted a series of three webinars on topics of interest for RTOs with EU officials. The three webinars touched three key topics:
- The New European Defence Fund: What’s in it for RTOs? – with Inge Ceuppens, Policy Officer of European Defence Fund (Research), DG DEFIS, European Commission
- Collaboration between the European Investment Fund (EIF) and RTOs – Jerome Samson, Investment Manager, EIF
- Digital Europe Programme & EDIHs: State of Play – Sandro D’Elia, Programme Officer, Digital Transformation of Industrial Ecosystems, DG CONNECT, European Commission
EARTO has shared the presentations of these events and you will find them in the Private Area of this website, in the folder EU R&I funding > Digital Europe > Digital Europe Programme Information, or at these links: European defence fund, EIF and RTOs1 and 2, and Digital Europe.
Commission webinar on personnel costs within Horizon 2020
Last week, the Commission hosted a webinar regarding the accounting practices for projects funded within the last framework programme, Horizon 2020. The webinar, titled Avoiding errors in declaring personnel costs in Horizon 2020 grants can be rewatched on the page of the event, where you will also find all the presentations and supporting User’s Guide for the Personnel Costs Wizard.
Commission’s guide on funding opportunities for hydrogen projects
The Commission presented last week the Hydrogen Public Funding Compass, an online guide to public funding instruments at EU and national level, supporting renewable and low-carbon hydrogen projects. The guide helps stakeholders identify relevant programmes and funds and find out which projects they can finance, what type of funding is available and which conditions apply.
For more information on the ways the EU is supporting clean hydrogen, check the dedicated page here.
Intellectual Property Enforcement Summit
On Tuesday and Wednesday (22 and 23 June), will take place the 4th International IP Enforcement Summit 2021. The event will bring together key European and international decision makers, enforcement agencies, multinational companies and other relevant players to discuss ways to improve protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPR) in the EU and around the globe. The event is organized by the European Commission, the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) and the Swedish IP Office (PRV). Registrations are now closed, but you can find all the details about this event here.
28/10/2021: EARTO Policy Event and Innovation Awards 2021, AI Watch Report, EIC-ERC Workshop, and more.
In today’s Morning Brief:
– Beyond Pilots: AI Watch Report;
– Call Global Leaders to take action on Climate at COP26;
– The Promise of new Geothermal Technologies;
– Some condemn pushback against EU Forest Strategy;
– EARTO Policy Event and Innovation Awards 2021;
– First EIC-ERC Workshop on Cell and Gene Therapy.
27/10/2021: Sixth report on the State of the Energy Union, Maria Leptin takes up post as Head of the ERC, COP26, and more.
In today’s Morning Brief:
– Sixth Report on the State of the Energy Union;
– Science Europe Panel: Empowering Policy Makers with Informed Scientific Knowledge to Address the Climate Crisis;
– As COP26 Approaches, European Universities lag on Fossil Fuel Divestment;
– Maria Leptin takes up post as Head of the ERC;
– European Academies call for more equitable Access Publishing;
– New €1.5 Billion Call for Green Technology Demonstrators.
26/10/2021: Registration is open for two of our workshops regarding Health Technologies and Agro, Food and Forestry, COP26 is fast approaching, and more
In today’s Morning Brief:
– Scientists Identify Biotech Techniques to Improve Space Agriculture;
– Action Plan to Conserve Fisheries Resources and Protect Marine Ecosystems – Targeted Consultation;
– WG Agro, Food and Forestry Workshop – 2 December 2021;
– WG Health Technologies Workshop – 3 November 2021;
– EIC Summit: Registration is now open;
– EC Workshop on Green Deal funded projects – 27 October;
– CO26 Climate Summit: A Scientists’ Guide to a Momentous Meeting.