In today's Morning Brief:
INESC article on Cybersecurity published on Science|Business
Science Business has published today INESC’s article on Cybersecurity. A huge thank you to the lead writer, Nelson Escravana, and to Rui Oliveira and Miguel Correia who participated in the writing process. This initiative is channelling a very welcome visibility to INESC institutes and its research capacity at a European level. On top of that, it is showing how effective the collaborations across different INESC institutes can be. Way to go!
Remember to share the article with your network; if it’s your thing, share it or comment it on Twitter (tagging the HUB with the handle @HubInesc). The article is already available through the HUB website too, please link it when sharing.
More funding and research: how can the EU advance in AI?
Conclusions from an EurActiv conference on the funding of AI were published here and the full conference can be seen here. Among the issues raised was the great divide in public opinion when it comes to AI, future funding in the industry, and consumer and data privacy concerns. Lucilla Sioli, Director for Digital Industry at the Commission’s DG Connect described the EU executive’s approach, as “positive but careful” and with a human-centered focus. She also mentioned Commission funding for a public-private partnership on AI, data, and robotics, in addition to testing facilities to develop everyday uses of the technology.
Digital Day 2021
Digital Day 2021 will take place on 19 March as a virtual event, organised by the European Commission in cooperation with the Portuguese Presidency. You can view the programme here and register here. Not announced, but there are plans for nations to put pen to paper on three declarations, covering Europe’s future in the global data space, its support for the startup ecosystem on the bloc, and a declaration on a ‘green and digital transformation’ in the EU, according to EurActiv.
EC webinar on how to prepare a Horizon Europe proposal
The agenda is out for the first webinar organised by the European Commission on how to apply for the Horizon Europe calls. The main points addressed in the webinar will be “Submission and evaluation” and “Model Grant Agreement”. The webinar will be streamed on YouTube on March 24th, at 10 am CET; information about the event is available here, but it is also possible to register to receive information on the event directly by email.
EIC Work Programme 2021
On occasion of the launch event of the European Innovation Council, the Commission has published the EIC Work Programme 2021, which contains the first calls for applicants of the programme. The launch ceremony has started at 9.30 CET and is being livestreamed here.
23/9/2021: EU Partnerships update, HUB workshop on AI & Robotics, ERA Pact for R&I, Green Deal Series events & other relevant EU R&I news bytes
In today’s Morning Brief:
– European Partnerships – Update on the Legislative Process
– HUB workshop on PPP AI & Robotics
– ERA Pact for R&I – next steps
– Various Running ERA Studies of Interest
– MEPs against inclusion of ‘do no significant harm’ principle in Horizon Europe
– UK sets out ‘pro-innovation’ AI rules, in further move away from Brussels
– Europeans strongly support science and technology according to new Eurobarometer survey
– Agriculture: Launch of an annual EU organic day
– More on the State of the Union address
– Pathways to the future – A follow-up to “Universities without walls – A vision for 2030”
– Fraunhofer organises Green Deal Series: “Offshore Wind as a cornerstone of the European Green Deal” on 12 October 2021
21/9/2021: Reform of the Research Assessment System, CH to fund ERC proposals, Open Access, Quantum investments, new U-Multirank HE cooperation index
In today’s Morning Brief:
– Reform of the Research Assessment System
– Switzerland will temporarily fund ERC proposals with own funds
– Monitoring the open access policy of Horizon 2020
– UK starts construction of new £93 million quantum computing centre
– New ERC President, Maria Leptin, to take over on 1st November
– U-Multirank creates new ‘Higher Education Cooperation Index’
– 2022: Year of Youth and ERASMUS as a tool to promote European Education Area
20/9/2021: Work as an Expert, State of the Union address – key R&I issues, Tech and Strategic Autonomy, European Health Union, New EU Bauhaus, Meat Atlas, Elections that will define the Future of Europe
In today’s Morning Brief:
– Work as an expert – European Defence Fund
– State of the Union address by the President of the EC: key takeaways for R&I
– Technology sovereignty in practice: EC pushes chip building and cyberdefence
– Shaping and securing the EU’s Open Strategic Autonomy by 2040 and beyond
– European Health Union and the new HERA (European Health Emergency preparedness and Response Authority)
– €85M investment in 2022 for New European Bauhaus project
– Meat Atlas: facts and figures about the animals we eat
– The elections that will define the future of Europe and the EU PermReps dancing chairs